BIGOS MANAGEMENT IS PROUD TO BE NAMED A STAR TRIBUNE TOP WORKPLACE 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019
The Zone Building Engineer is the senior maintenance supervisor in a property portfolio and works directly with Site Maintenance Technicians and the Portfolio Director on major property repairs, preventative maintenance and capital improvement projects within a portfolio (zone) of properties. This position is responsible for the overall care of the portfolio’s major mechanical equipment, including installations, repairs and inspections. This position also directly supervises maintenance technician(s).
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
Required Education and Experience
- Oversee the general condition, inspections and repairs to building systems and major mechanical equipment such as boilers and A/C systems, within the assigned portfolio.
- Oversee and perform regular preventative maintenance inspections on facilities and equipment to ensure efficient operation and to minimize downtime and expense.
- Oversee site operating projects, including obtaining bids, selecting vendors and managing project execution
- Manage the portfolio’s inventory of major tools and equipment
- Assign and supervise the work assigned to portfolio Maintenance Technician I’s
- Provide technical advice, training and development to site maintenance team in partnership with corporate training team and portfolio Property Managers
- On an as needed basis, provide site support for open Maintenance Technician positions within the portfolio.
- Will be responsible for on-call support and will respond to emergency calls in a timely manner
- Maintain positive and professional relationships with all co-workers, residents, vendors and the public
- Attend relevant training courses, including ensuring all required certifications are current, share training knowledge with the rest of the maintenance team
- Comply with all safety program requirements and work to promote safety in the workplace
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of 8+ years’ experience as a Maintenance Technician in a residential apartment setting or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 3+ years’ experience working as a maintenance supervisor or other leadership position
- High School Diploma or GED required; Degree or certification from a college, university or technical school related to Engineering, Maintenance or Building operations preferred.
- Requires a Second Class Boilers License with the ability to upgrade a First Class License within 6 months of hire, EPA Universal Refrigerant Certification and Certified Pool Operators License
- Considerable knowledge and on-the-job experience in the areas of plumbing, electrical, HVAC, refrigeration, appliance repair, building key systems, lawn irrigation systems, and pool and sauna operations
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Must have basic computer literacy skills, including experience with Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel
- Comprehension of federal fair housing laws and any applicable local housing provisions
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects and details simultaneously with self-direction.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Must be able to effectively supervise the work of others, including providing constructive feedback, coaching and ongoing training opportunities
- Ability to use tact, diplomacy and a clear, courteous manner when dealing with co-workers and the public.
- Excellent decision-making, problem solving, and time management skills
- Fluent in English and proficient in oral and written communication
- Must have reliable transportation and valid state driver’s license and proof of insurance as travel between sites is required.
Must be able to work in a physically demanding environment. Frequent kneeling, lifting, pushing, pulling and moving through-out day. Regular lifting of more than 20 lbs. and frequent lifting of up to 80 lbs. with assistance. May encounter heights, ladders, uneven walking surface, stairs, confined spaces, dust, gas fumes from power equipment and noise. Exposed to external weather conditions, drafts and interior temperature changes. Will regularly handle supplies and tools with sharp edges. Must be able to quickly and easily navigate the property/building as required to meet the job functions, including climbing stairs and walking the hallways and common areas.